Professional services businesses
Missouri allows professionals, such as accountants, attorneys and physicians, to form a
professional corporation (PC).
After forming a corporation, you must undertake certain steps on an ongoing basis to keep your business in compliance. These steps are also important in preserving the limited liability a corporation provides its owners. This guide outlines the ongoing requirements for Missouri corporations.
Missouri corporations must keep the following items with their corporate records at the principal place of business in Missouri or the registered office:
- Correct and complete books or records of account, including the amount of its assets and liabilities
- Minutes of director and shareholder meetings
- A list of the names of shareholders and the number of shares owned by each
- A record of the amount of shares paid, by whom, and the transfer of such shares with the date of transfer
- A list of names and business or residential addresses of current officers
Corporate taxes and fees
The following are taxation requirements and ongoing fees for Missouri corporations:
- Annual report and franchise tax.
Missouri requires corporations to file an Annual Registration Report by April 15. The annual report fee is $45. The franchise tax is due the 15th day of the fourth month from the beginning of the taxable period, and is calculated based on the par value of outstanding shares and surplus if in excess of $200,000.
For complete details on state taxes for Missouri corporations, visit
Business Owner's Toolkit
State of Missouri
- Federal tax identification number (EIN).
is required for corporations that will have employees. Additionally, most banks require an EIN in order to open a business bank account.
- State tax identification number.
Missouri requires a state tax identification number.
Business licenses and/or permits are required for most businesses. The BizFilings
Business License Application Package
can help you stay on top of these requirements.
S corporation election
Missouri recognizes the federal S corporation election and does not require a state-level S corporation election.
Additional Missouri information
View the following additional resources BizFilings has for forming and maintaining companies in Missouri: