Professional services businesses
Hawaii does not allow professionals, such as accountants, attorneys and physicians, to form a professional limited liability company (PLLC).
forming a limited liability company (LLC)
, you must undertake certain steps on an ongoing basis to keep your business in compliance. These steps are also important in preserving the limited liability an LLC provides its owner(s). This guide outlines the ongoing requirements for Hawaii LLCs.
LLC taxes and fees
The following are taxation requirements and ongoing fees for Hawaii LLCs:
- Annual report.
Hawaii requires LLCs to file an annual report. The annual report filing fee is $15 and the due date is tied to the anniversary of the company’s date of incorporation.
- If the anniversary date is between January 1 and March 31, the report is due on or before March 31 and the report must include information current as of January 1st.
- If the anniversary date is between April 1 and June 30, the report is due on or before June 30 and the information included must include information current as of April 1.
- If the anniversary date is between July 1 and September 30, the report is due on or before September 30 and must include information current as of July 1.
- If the anniversary date is between October 1 and December 31, the report is due on or before December 31, and must include information current as of October 1.
For complete details on state taxes for Hawaii LLCs, visit
Business Owner's Toolkit or the
State of Hawaii
- Federal tax identification number (EIN).
is required for LLCs that will have employees. Additionally, most banks require an EIN in order to open a business bank account.
- State tax identification number.
Hawaii does not require a state tax identification number.
Business licenses and/or permits are required for most businesses. The BizFilings
Business License Application Package
can help you stay on top of these requirements.
Additional Hawaii information
View the following additional resources BizFilings has for forming and maintaining companies in Hawaii: