“Don’t write so that you can be understood, write so that you can’t be misunderstood.”
―William Howard Taft
After your research is complete, writing the resulting manuscript is the last, vital step in the process. It is in the writing, not the research itself, where many authors encounter difficulties. Authors for whom English is a second language can be particularly challenged in writing for English language publications. Fortunately, there is a host of services available to authors.
Language barriers: The scope of the problem
It is estimated that out of the total countries in the world, a little over one-third have English as the primary language. So, for the remaining two-thirds of the world, English is, at best, a second language. For many authors, this can present a serious challenge in crafting a publication-ready manuscript for an English language journal.
Beyond language: Other assistance needs
In addition to help with English language and grammar, other types of assistance are available that can save you time and effort as you prepare your manuscript.
- Journal selection: Submitting to a journal whose scope matches your work is a necessary first step, otherwise you risk getting an immediate reject from the Editors.
- Technical assistance: Obtaining expert assistance can improve your manuscript’s chances by checking for issues such as poor structure, weak argument, inadequate description of the methodology, and other issues.
- Artwork: Augmenting your data with effective images can greatly enhance your manuscript’s impact.
Author services: What are your options?
Editage, in partnership with Wolters Kluwer/Lippincott, offers the following services to authors:
- English Language Editing: Intensive editing to give you a publication-ready manuscript
- Translation with Editing: English translation and editing by subject specialists
- Rapid Technical Review: Expert evaluation and suggestions to improve chances of publication
- Plagiarism Check: Identify and resolve instances of accidental plagiarism
- Artwork Preparation: Impactful visual artwork that meets the journal’s guidelines
- Journal Selection: Select the most relevant journals to publish your research