Wolters Kluwer, Health and the American Journal of Nursing today announced the winners of the annual AJN Book of the Year Awards honoring exceptional digital and print texts for advancing healthcare quality.
“Year after year, the AJN Book of the Year Awards applauds outstanding books in nursing publishing that explore essential health and healthcare topics and is revered as a guide for nursing faculty searching for expert content to enhance curriculums,” said Maureen Shawn Kennedy, MA, RN, FAAN, Editor in Chief of AJN. “We are proud to continue this tradition in year where we have learned much about the nursing workforce and its resiliency.”
The AJN Book of the Year program is a prestigious competition that garners the attention of the nursing community as well as librarians in hospitals and universities. AJN has announced its annual list of the best in nursing publishing since 1969 with awards given in 19 categories for first, second and third place. Winners are chosen by a panel of expert judges ranging from nursing faculty to clinicians to nursing executives.
The 2020 first-place winners are:
- Adult Primary Care: Portable RN: The All in One Nursing Reference edited by Denise Linton. 5th edition.
- Advanced Practice Nursing: Advanced Physiology and Pathophysiology: Essentials for Clinical Practice edited by Nancy C. Tkacs, Linda L. Herrmann, and Randall L. Johnson.
- Child Health: Advanced Pediatric Assessment by Ellen M. Chiocca. 3rd edition.
- Community/Public Health: Public/Community Health and Nursing Practice: Caring for Populations by Christine L. Savage. 2nd edition.
- Consumer Health: The Caregiver’s Companion by Deborah A. Boyle.
- Creative Works: Shining the Light on All the Right: Celebrating the Art of Nursing Around the World by Mark Barnes and Bonnie Barnes.
- Critical Care-Emergency Nursing: Trauma Nursing: From Resuscitation Through Rehabilitation by Karen A. McQuillan and Mary Beth Flynn Makic. 5th edition.
- Digital Products: Navigate 2 Premier Access for Advanced Health Assessment and Diagnostic Reasoning Featuring Kognito Simulations by Jacqueline Rhoads and Sandra Wiggins Petersen. 4th edition.
- Gerontologic Nursing: Global Aging: Comparative Perspectives on Aging and the Life Course by Frank J. Whittington, Suzanne R. Kunkel, and Kate de Medeiros. 2nd edition.
- History and Public Policy: Talking Therapy: Knowledge and Power in American Psychiatric Nursing by Kylie Smith.
- Informatics: Emerging Technologies for Nurses: Implications for Practice edited by Whende M. Carroll.
- Maternal-Child Health/Prenatal Nursing/Childbirth: Handbook of Perinatal and Neonatal Palliative Care: A Guide for Nurses, Physicians, and Other Health Professionals by Rana Limbo, Charlotte Wool, and Brian S. Carter.
- Medical-Surgical Nursing: Wound Care Essentials: Practice Principles by Sharon Baranoski and Elizabeth A. Ayello. 5th edition.
- Nursing Education/Continuing Education/Professional Development: The Successful Nurse Faculty Member: Tools of the Trade edited by Denise M. Korniewicz.
- Nursing Management and Leadership: Evidence-Based Leadership, Innovation, and Entrepreneurship in Nursing and Healthcare: A Practical Guide for Success edited by Bernadette Mazurek Melnyk and Tim Raderstorf.
- Nursing Research: Translation of Evidence Into Nursing and Healthcare edited by Kathleen M. White, Sharon Dudley-Brown, and Mary F. Terhaar. 3rd edition.
- Palliative Care and Hospice: Handbook of Perinatal and Neonatal Palliative Care: A Guide for Nurses, Physicians, and Other Health Professionals by Rana Limbo, Charlotte Wool, and Brian S. Carter.
- Professional Issues: Professional Nursing: Concepts and Challenges by Beth Perry Black. 9th edition.
- Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing: Fast Facts for the Nurse Psychotherapist: The Process of Becoming edited by Jeffrey S. Jones and Kathleen R. Tusaie.
The full list of winners appears in the January 2021 issue of AJN.