Employers in Rhode Island must conform with these state rules relating to filing income tax withholding returns.
Periodic returns. The following rules apply in Rhode Island:
- quarter-monthly (Form 941-QM-RI) within 3 banking days after the last day of the quarter-monthly period if employer withholds $600 or more but less than $24,000 per month
- daily (Form 941-D-RI) on the next banking day after the date the payroll is paid if employer withholds $24,000 or more per month
- monthly (Form 941-M-RI) within 20 days following end of month (last day of following month for returns for March, June, September, and December) if employer withholds $50 or more but less than $600 per month
- quarterly (Form 941-Q-RI) by last day of month following end of quarter if employer withholds less than $50 per month
- annually (Form 941-A-RI) by January 31 if employer does not withhold
Annual reconciliation returns. Form RI-W-3 due February 28. (Does not apply to annual filer.)Category: Managing Your Taxes