The updated text reflects cutting-edge discussion on traumatic brain injury management in a neurocritical care setting. Contributions from top experts in neurosurgery, neurology, critical care, cardiac and pulmonary care, and trauma surgery provide a concise review of a complex and evolving field.
The book lays a solid foundation with discussion of TBI classification, pathophysiology, key blood biomarkers, noninvasive neuromonitoring in severe TBI patients, multimodality monitoring in neurocritical care, and brain imaging modalities. From the prehospital setting to intensive care, top experts share clinical pearls and core guidelines on the management of mild, moderate, and severe TBI and complications. Chapters new to this edition include concomitant injuries, orbital/facial fractures, vascular injuries, spine fractures, autonomic dysfunction, and temperature management.
- Specialized topics include wartime penetrating injuries, cardiovascular complications of TBI, venous thromboembolism prophylaxis, ethical considerations, TBI costs in the U.S. and the financial return on helmets
- Management of pediatric brain injuries in the NICU with illustrative cases
- Nearly 200 high quality illustrations facilitate understanding of complex anatomy and techniques
- Summary tables provide a handy overview of injury type, causes, characteristics, and recommended imaging modalities
This remarkable resource is essential reading for neurosurgeons, neurologists, trauma physicians, critical care and rehabilitation medicine specialists, and residents in these specialties. Paired with Neurotrauma and Critical Care of the Spine, 2nd edition, this dynamic duo is the most up-to-date neurocritical care reference available today.
- Thieme Medical Publishers
- Product Type:
- Jallo, Jack; Loftus, Christopher M.
- Internal Medicine
- 2nd Ed.
- Publication Year: