Shuttered Venue Operators Grant program provides live venue operators with COVID-19 relief
Who is eligible for an SVOG?
Eligible entities of the Shuttered Venue Operators Grant include the following:
- Live venue operators or promoters
- Theatrical producers
- Live performing arts organization operators
- Museum operators
- Motion picture theater operators (including owners)
- Talent representatives
An eligible entity must have been in operation as of February 29, 2020. An entity is not eligible if it is a publicly traded corporation or is majority owned or controlled by a publicly traded corporation.
How much can an eligible entity receive?
For an eligible entity in operation on January 1, 2019, grants will be for an amount equal to 45% of their 2019 gross earned revenue or $10 million, whichever is less.
For an eligible entity that began operation after January 1, 2019, grants will be for the average monthly gross earned revenue for each full month it was in operation during 2019 multiplied by six, or $10 million, whichever is less.
What can the funds be used for?
Funds may be used for specific expenses, which include the following:
- Payroll costs
- Rent payments
- Utility payments
- Scheduled mortgage payments
- Scheduled debt payments
- Worker protection expenditures
- Payments to independent contractors (not to exceed $100,000 in annual compensation for an individual employee of an independent contractor)
- Other ordinary and necessary business expenses, including maintenance costs
- Administrative costs
- State and local taxes and fees
- Operating leases in effect as of February 15, 2020
- Insurance payments
- Advertising, production transportation, and capital expenditures related to producing a theatrical or live performing arts production. (May not be the primary use of funds)
The funds cannot be used to do the following:
- Buy real estate
- Make payments on loans originated after February 15, 2020
- Make investments or loans
- Make contributions or other payments to, or on behalf of, political parties, political committees, or candidates for election
- Pay for any other use prohibited by the SBA
How to apply
Live venue operators affected by COVID-19 disruptions can apply via the SBA’s SVOG application portal (which opened April 26, 2021). Funds will be disbursed to the applicants who have suffered the greatest losses first and those hurt the least later on.
The application portal is located on the SBA’s website here: Shuttered Venue Operators Grant. The SBA also provides additional information about the SVOG program including regularly updated FAQs, application checklists, and video tutorials.