The most common way to become a tax-exempt nonprofit is by establishing the organization as a Section 501(c)(3) entity.
These are public charities and private foundations that are created for religious, educational, charitable, scientific, literary, safety-oriented or amateur sports-related purposes. There are also a number of other types of organizations considered tax-exempt by the IRS, but not charitable. These may include trade associations, social clubs and certain advocacy organizations involved in political lobbying.
Some erroneously believe that just by incorporating a nonprofit, the resulting organization is automatically tax-exempt. In reality, incorporating a nonprofit simply establishes it in the state where it was incorporated. One must file for tax-exempt status in order to become a tax-exempt nonprofit. This can be a difficult process and professional help is often recommended.
BizFilings has experience setting up 501(c)(3) non-profits nationwide with our Vcorp tax-exempt services division. After we incorporate your business our tax-exempt specialists will guide you throughout the application process and provide thorough explanations to help with the completion of your tax-exempt filing with the IRS. Our premium service includes direct contact with a tax professional, preparation and filing on your behalf.
Our 501(c)(3) tax-exempt services include preparation and filing of:
- IRS Form 1023 with necessary schedules
- Amendments (if necessary) to the certificate of incorporation to comply with IRS regulations
- Review and formatting of proposed budgets
- Adoption of "Conflict of Interest Policy"
- "Detailed Narrative" describing the organization
- Customized Bylaws
- Specialized schedules and requirements for different types of organizations such as churches, schools, private foundations, charities, etc.
- Subsequent filings, such as registrations for charitable solicitation, state tax exemptions, amendments to tax status, and dissolutions.
How does it work?
You can request a quote by calling or when ordering our non-profit packages. Once your business is official our tax-exempt specialists will contact you to discuss your specific 501(c)(3) application requirements, answer questions and provide you with the cost for obtaining tax-exempt status. We provide three tiers of service: