Wolters Kluwer, a leading global provider of information and point-of-care solutions for the healthcare industry, announced today that “A Practical Guide to Fetal Echocardiography: Normal and Abnormal Hearts 3rd Edition” by Alfred Abuhamad and Rabih Chaouj was named the British Medical Association (BMA) Book of the Year for 2016. Four other Lippincott Williams & Wilkins (LWW) titles also were highly commended in their categories.
“This beautifully produced book is much more than the ‘practical guide’ it claims to be. It also brings in information about differential diagnosis, prognosis and outcome to make it a comprehensive textbook in fetal cardiology for the imaging specialist. As such, it is a worthy winner for the BMA medical book of the year award,” said Mark Porter, BMA Council Chair in reference to “A Practical Guide to Fetal Echocardiography: Normal and Abnormal Hearts.”
The annual BMA Medical Book Awards recognize outstanding contributions to medical literature. A judging panel, made up of doctors and educators, review books for their applicability to audience, production quality and originality. The Book of the Year is selected from the winners in 20 award categories.
“It is an honor to publish the great works of our award-winning authors whose contributions to the medical literature have been recognized by the British Medical Association,” said Jayne Marks, Vice President, Global Publishing, Wolters Kluwer, Health Learning, Research and Practice. “We are incredibly proud of our authors, as well as our publishing and editorial teams for their commitment to create works that will have a positive impact on the medical field.”
Other BMA award-winning titles published by LWW include:
- Basic and Clinical Sciences, Highly Commended: Neuroscience: Exploring the Brain, 4th Edition by Mark F. Bear, Barry W. Connors and Michael A. Paradiso
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology, First Prize: A Practical Guide to Fetal Echocardiography: Normal and Abnormal Hearts, 3rd Edition by Alfred Abuhamad and Rabih Chaouj
- Oncology, Highly Commended: Principles and Practice of Pediatric Oncology, 7th Edition by Philip A. Pizzo and David G. Poplack
- Radiology, Highly Commended: Neuroimaging: The Essentials by Pina Sanelli, Pamela Schaefer and Laurie Loevner
- Surgery, Highly Commended: Grabb’s Encyclopedia of Flaps: Head and Neck, 5th Edition by Berish Strauch, Louis O. Vasconez, Charles K. Herman and Bernard T. Lee
The complete list of 2016 BMA Award winners can be found on the BMA website.