Wolters Kluwer, Health and the American Journal of Nursing (AJN) announced the 2018 winners of its annual AJN Book of the Year Awards honoring exceptional texts for advancing healthcare quality. The list of winners appears in the January 2019 issue of AJN, the “leading voice of nursing since 1900.” AJN is published in the Lippincott portfolio by Wolters Kluwer.
“This year marks the 49th year of the AJN Book of the Year Awards, and we’re pleased to continue the tradition of recognizing high-quality publications to help faculty in their efforts to identify materials for teaching and to help clinicians in continuing their learning towards improving care and patient outcomes,” said Maureen Shawn Kennedy, MA, RN, FAAN, Editor in Chief of AJN.
The AJN Book of the Year program is a prestigious competition that garners the attention of the nursing community and supporting healthcare publishers. Since 1969, AJN has announced its annual list of the best in nursing publishing. The winners are chosen by a panel of judges who range from college professors to clinicians to nursing executives. Awards are given for first, second and third place in 20 categories.
This year’s first-place winners are:
- Adult Primary Care:Building Motivational Interviewing Skills: A Practitioner Workbook by David B. Rosengren. 2nd edition
- Advanced Practice Nursing: Population Health and Its Integration into Advanced Nursing Practice Edited by Mary A. Bemker and Christine Ralyea. 4th edition
- Child Health: Guided Participation in Pediatric Nursing Practice: Relationship–Based Teaching and Learning With Parents, Children, and Adolescents Edited by Karen F. Pridham, Rana Limbo, and Michele M. Schroeder
- Community/Public Health: LGBTQ Cultures: What Health Care Professionals Need to Know About Sexual and Gender Diversity by Michele J. Eliason and Peggy L. Chinn
- Consumer Health: Your Guide to Cancer Prevention Edited by Joni L. Watson
- Creative Works: Taking Care of Time by Cortney Davis
- Critical Care – Emergency Nursing: AACN Core Curriculum for Pediatric High Acuity, Progressive, and Critical Care Nursing Edited by Margaret C. Slota. 3rd edition
- Digital Products: Lippincott Clinical Experiences: Community, Public, and Population Health Nursing by Jone Tiffany and Barbara Hoglund
- Environmental Health: Children and Environmental Toxins: What Everyone Needs to Know by Philip J. Landrigan and Mary M. Landrigan
- Gerontologic Nursing: Aging with Care: Your Guide to Hiring and Managing Caregivers at Home by Amanda Lambert and Leslie Eckford
- History and Public Policy: History of Professional Nursing in the United States: Toward a Culture of Health by Arlene W. Keeling, Michelle C. Hehman, and John C. Kirchgessner
- Informatics: Applied Clinical Informatics for Nurses Edited by Susan Alexander, Karen H. Frith, and Haley Hoy. 2nd edition
- Maternal – Child Health/Prenatal Nursing/Childbirth: Maternal, Fetal, and Neonatal Physiology: A Clinical Perspective by Susan Tucker Blackburn. 5th edition
- Medical – Surgical Nursing: Nursing: A Concept-Based Approach to Learning, Volumes 1 and 2; Clinical Nursing Skills: A Concept-Based Approach to Learning, Volume 3 Volumes 1 and 2 edited by Pearson Education. Volume 3 edited by Barbara Callahan. 3rd edition
- Nursing Education/Continuting Education/ Professional Development: Teaching in Nursing and Role of the Educator: The Complete Guide to Best Practice in Teaching, Evaluation, and Curriculum Development Edited by Marilyn H. Oermann, Jennie C. De Gagne, and Beth Cusatis Phillips. 2nd edition
- Nursing Management and Leadership: Health Policy and Advanced Practice Nursing: Impact and Implications Edited by Kelly A. Goudreau and Mary C. Smolenski. 2nd edition
- Nursing Research: Statistics for Nursing: A Practical Approach by Elizabeth Heavey. 3rd edition
- Palliative Care and Hospice: Palliative Care Nursing: Quality Care to the End of Life Edited by Marianne Matzo and Deborah Witt Sherman. 5th edition
- Professional Issues: Quality Caring in Nursing and Health Systems: Implications for Clinicians, Educators, and Leaders by Joanne R. Duffy. 3rd edition
- Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing: Behavioral Pediatric Healthcare for Nurse Practitioners: A Growth and Developmental Approach to Intercepting Abnormal Behaviors Edited by Donna Hallas