The accurate, reliable, and timely handling of service of process is critical to reduce the business risks of default judgments and non-compliance. In article 1 we covered the vital role a registered agent plays in processing service of process, enabling corporations to manage them effectively.
In this second article, we summarize the end-to-end SOP management process, breaking it down into four key steps. In these steps, we examine some of the key requirements for each of these areas to provide a flexible and streamlined SOP management process:
- Service of Process handling and management
- Service of Process delivery and acknowledgement
- Service of Process cloud storage and reporting
Step 1: Service of process intake
A Registered Agent initially engages in managing service of process through intake. Effectively, the agent should have an in-person intake capability, which provides the following key benefits:
- Reduces chances of accepting incorrect or misrouted processes
- Provides for efficient and timely processing
- Reduces litigation non-compliance risk.
In addition to processes served on the Registered Agent, corporations also receive processes directly – either served at corporate headquarters or other places of business. A Registered Agent can consolidate processing of corporate-served and agent-served service of process, streamlining service of process management. To achieve effective consolidation, the Registered Agent should have a variety of intake options for managing direct served SOPs, including standard mail, File Transfer Protocol (FTP), portal upload, fax and Email.
Step 2: Handling and management
After Intake, the Registered Agent handles and manages service process which can be surprisingly complex. It includes:
- Receiving and logging service of process documents
- Digitizing the documents for efficient and easy distribution, management, and storage
- Summarizing key aspects of the documents for efficient handling and routing – this can save the corporation significant time and costs associated with processing received services of process
- Support customized and complex delivery instructions for efficient and timely service of process routing
- Task management capabilities to ensure the service of process is acted upon in a timely manner, reducing risk of litigation and non-compliance.
Step 3: Delivery and acknowledgement of receipt
The Registered Agent next delivers the service of process to the corporation, and the corporation acknowledges receipt. In this step, the agent should be capable of a variety of options, to meet each corporation’s needs, including:
- Electronic/automated delivery directly to the corporation’s matter management or payroll system
- Upload on web portal with notification for corporate retrieval
- File Transfer Protocol (FTP)
A critical step to reduce the risk of a corporation missing served documents is acknowledgement. The Registered Agent should make acknowledgement flexible, making it easy as possible for the corporation, based on workflow and environment. Some needed acknowledgement methods include:
- Automated acknowledgement for electronic delivery
- Corporate acknowledgement via portal
- Acknowledgement via email reconciliation of transmittal logs.
Step 4: Cloud storage and reporting
The Registered Agent, in a final step, stores services of process, has a system of access and a reporting system for served documents and processes. The agent’s key capabilities required here include:
- Portal for easy access and acknowledgment of service of process documents
- Efficient storage in the cloud for handling and managing services of process over time
- Simple and advanced search capabilities to quickly find services of process at any time, meeting audit requirements
- Reporting to provide insights for planning and decision making.
Download the full article for more information on the role of the Registered Agent in managing Service of Process (SOP), a critical part in your business risk mitigation strategy.
Learn how to determine if your Registered Agent has the qualities needed for your custom Service of Process needs. Contact a representative at 855-316-8948 (toll-free USA).
Related articles in the series include: