Wolters Kluwer has 100% free float and a widely distributed, global shareholder base. Approximately 90% of the issued ordinary shares of Wolters Kluwer is held by institutional investors. The remaining 10% is held by retail investors, broker-dealers, or held in treasury by Wolters Kluwer. As of November 2020, nearly half of institutionally-owned shares is held by investors in North America, mainly the United States and Canada. Institutions based in the United Kingdom held 26%, while institutions based in continental Europe owned 21%. The remainder is held mainly in Asia Pacific. Approximately 29% of institutionally-held shares are held in ESG funds while some 21% of institutionally held shares were held in passive, index, or quant funds.