Since 2008, Michael has run his own sole practitioner law firm, Terceiro Legal Consulting Pty Ltd (TLC), which specialises in competition and consumer law. During that time, Michael, has acted for many large, medium and small businesses in matters involving the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC); competition and consumer law problems (ie legal advice and representation in investigations and litigation); independent compliance reviews and audits, risk assessments and compliance programs. Michael’s clients have included Airbnb, ALDI Supermarkets, Bingo Industries, Arnott’s Biscuits, Baby Bunting, Coates Hire, Costco Wholesale, Dell Computers, InvoCare Limited, LG Electronics, McLaren Automotive, oOhmedia, Ozsale and Wilson Security.
Michael is also the current General Editor of the Australian Business Law Review, the current Deputy Chair of the Small and Medium Enterprise Committee of the Law Council of Australia and a member of the Competition and Consumer Committee of the Law Council of Australia.
Michael updates Wolters Kluwer’s Competition and Consumer Law commentary. Among other things, he has updated the Anti-Competitive Agreements and Secondary Boycotts chapters.
Prior to 2008, Michael worked for the ACCC for a period of 15 years, during which time he ran over 600 investigations (including 100 merger clearances) and 30 court cases. He also held the following senior roles at the ACCC:
- Director of Enforcement and Compliance in the NSW Regional Office
- Director (in charge) of the Sydney Mergers and Asset Sales Branch
- National GST Enforcement Coordinator
- Director (in charge) of the ACCC’s Waterfront Team during the Waterfront Dispute
- Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Laws (Hons), Macquarie University
- Master of Laws, University of Sydney
- Professional Certificate in Arbitration, University of Adelaide
- Master of Dispute Resolution (With Excellence), University of New South Wales
Area of Expertise :
- Competition and Consumer Law
- Compliance and Risk
- Regulator Engagement