• Overview
  • Ordering details
  • FAQs
  • Learn more

Leave the Research to Us and Receive Your Applications Quickly and Accurately

There are over 19,000 licensing jurisdictions that could apply to a business at the federal, state, local and regional levels, and it’s easy to get sidetracked researching for the relevant ones. In most states, businesses (whether a sole proprietorship or an incorporated business type) need licenses and/or permits to operate and comply with government mandates for safety, soundness and tax.

How it Works

You provide basic information about your business, and we do the rest:

  • Research all licensing requirements at every level (including general, specialty and regulated businesses) as well as tax registrations (sales tax, use tax, withholding tax, etc.)
  • Collect the necessary applications that are relevant to your business
  • E-mail you a customized application package with any special filing instructions for you to fill out and submit

The customized package we deliver via email includes:

  • Your unique federal, state, local and municipal license and permit needs
  • A comprehensive overview of state and local licenses, permits and tax registrations relevant to your specific business
  • Complete licensing authority’s contact information
  • The actual license, permit and tax registration applications and other necessary documents
  • Filing instructions, so you can easily get your licenses, permits and tax registrations

Neglecting Business Licensing Can Be Costly

Failure to comply with license, permit and tax registration requirements can lead to expensive penalties or leave business owners with no legal protection. BizFilings’ Business License Research service keeps you on top of your licensing needs. 

We research the state and local licensing requirements for your business, covering business licenses and permits (general, specialty and regulated businesses) as well as tax registrations (sales tax, use tax, witholding tax, etc.). Let us handle the research, so you can run your business.

NOTE: You cannot incorporate your business through this service.
A common misconception is that the obtainment of licensing turns your company into an LLC, corporation, or other official entity with the state. If you'd like to incorporate, visit our Incorporation Options page.

Key Benefits

Researching all the business licenses and permits required for your particular business and location can be quite time consuming. Let BizFilings handle this research for you, allowing you to concentrate on the other aspects of your business.

Understanding Business Licenses 

Keep in Mind

The most common item businesses need for tax registration is Federal Tax Identification Number (FEIN), also called the Employer Identification Number or EIN. The EIN is issued by the IRS and is basically a social security number for a business.

Federal Tax ID (EIN) Obtainment Service
Standard Multi-jurisdiction Regulated industries
The $99 Business License Application Package includes the necessary information and forms for you to obtain the state and local business licenses and permits for your particular business in one specified city, county and state To receive Business License Application Packages in additional cities, counties and/or states, contact our Incorporation Specialists. A multi-jurisdictional order costs $99 for the initial Business License Application Package (one city in one county in one state), and $66 for each additional location in the same state. Certain industries, “highly-regulated” by government agencies, may incur additional charges. One of our Incorporation Specialists will contact you to discuss the necessary steps and additional costs if your business falls into this category.
  • Who issues business licenses, permits and tax registrations?

    These documents are typically issued at all levels of government – federal, state and local (city, county or town).  Depending on the industry, how and where business is transacted, you may need to obtain licenses from several of these levels.

    For example, if you decide to open a bar and restaurant in Atlanta, you need all necessary licenses and permits from the city of Atlanta, the state of Georgia and the US government. So you will most likely need a Federal Tax ID (EIN) Number from the IRS, a license to sell alcoholic beverages from the state of Georgia, a State Tax ID Number to collect sales tax and withhold payroll taxes, a health permit from the city of Atlanta to prepare and sell food, as well as a basic business license to operate the restaurant within the city. These are just some of the possible licensing requirements you may incur. There are over 19,000 separate licensing jurisdictions in the US and each has its own particular licensing requirement. Be sure to review the requirements for your business.

  • What types of licenses, permits and tax registrations does a business commonly need?

    There are many licensing, permit and tax registrations that may be imposed on a business. A list of the most common licensing requirements is provided below.

    • Basic business operation license. This is a license from the city in which your business will operate, or from the local county (if the business will be operated outside of the city's legal boundaries).
    • Federal tax ID (EIN) number. Issued by the IRS, the EIN is also called a tax identification number or employer identification number, and is required for almost all types of businesses. BizFilings can assist with the obtainment of the federal tax ID (EIN) for your business. This service is included in our Deluxe Incorporation Service, can be added to our Enhanced or Basic Incorporation Services or can be purchased as a stand-alone service. View our Federal Tax ID (EIN) Obtainment Service page to learn more.
    • State tax ID number. Issued by your state’s department of revenue or taxation, the state tax ID number is also called a tax registration number. BizFilings can also assist with the preparation of the state tax ID number application form in states that require a state tax ID number. Our incorporation order form will include this option, if it is available in your desired state of incorporation.
    • DBA/fictitious business name registration. The doing business as (DBA) or fictitious business name registration happens with the appropriate state or local jurisdiction. BizFilings prepares and files DBA registrations for businesses in all 50 states. View our DBA Filing Service page to learn more about this service.
    • Home occupation permit. Your local government may require this permit if your business is home-based.
    • Zoning and land use permits. Local governments’ zoning laws may prohibit certain business activity in designated areas.
    • Building permit. If you plan on remodeling or building a commercial space, you'll need to get a building permit.
    • Health department permit. This permit is required primarily if your business involves the preparation and/or sale of food.
    • Sales tax license/sellers permit/resellers permit. This license/permit has many names and those names vary by state, but it is required for the selling of almost all products and services.
    • Fire and police department permits. These permits are required especially for businesses that will attract large numbers of customers (i.e. nightclubs and bars).
    • Alarm permits. These permits are required for businesses having an alarm that is connected to a monitoring service.
    • Special state-issued business licenses or permits. These permits are required if your business will involve the sale of the following types of products: liquor, lottery tickets, gasoline and firearms.
    • Special state-issued occupational licenses. These permits are required if you will be offering a number of state-regulated services, including: medical care, auto repair, real estate sales, tax services, insurance sales, cosmetology, and legal representation (attorneys). Please note, this is in addition to a professional license required for each individual practicing in these fields.
  • What are the consequences of failing to obtain the necessary licenses, permits and tax registrations?

    Failure to comply could jeopardize your business, resulting in expensive penalties or leaving you with no legal protection. Due to the continuous rise in traditional taxes, governments are always looking for alternative revenue streams, which often prompt increased vigilance for business license evaders. Many governments resort to hiring third-party collectors. Some of the pitfalls included in evading these licenses include:

    • You may not be able to open your new location
    • You may not be able to add a new item, service or structure
    • Your location may be padlocked
    • You may be hit with costly penalties and interest, or even personal liens
  • Which licenses, permits and tax registrations do I need?

    Requirements vary by industry, and how and where business is being transacted. BizFilings’ Business License Research service includes a complete overview for your business and provides all required license, permit and tax registration applications required for your business. Our service includes:

    • A complete overview of the licenses, permits and tax registrations that may be required for your business in one city, county and state
    • The appropriate licensing authority’s contact information, including name, address, telephone number, etc.
    • The actual license, permit and tax registration applications and associated documents necessary to obtain these documents.
    • Filing instructions for how and where to return your completed applications in order to obtain the licenses, permits and tax registrations.
  • What are “highly-regulated” industries?

    Certain industries are highly regulated by government agencies, and often incur greater requirements. In many cases, we impose additional charges to prepare a Business License Application Package for businesses in these highly regulated industries, such as:

    • Agriculture – pesticides & fertilizers
    • Animal related
    • Aviation
    • Collection/Debt management
    • Cosmetics/Vitamins
    • Daycare
    • Educational services
    • Explosives & firearms
    • Financial services
    • Gaming
    • Hazardous materials
    • Healthcare
    • Mining
    • Oil/Gas
    • Social services

    If we determine additional charges will be required, one of our Incorporation Specialists will contact you prior to proceeding with your order.

  • Will BizFilings obtain the necessary licenses, permits and tax registrations on behalf of my business?
    No. We can, however, provide you with all the necessary documents and applications required so that you may work with the federal, state and local governments to ensure your business is in compliance with these requirements.
  • How long does it take for BizFilings to complete the overview and provide the necessary applications for obtaining the appropriate licenses?
    Turn-around depends on how the service is ordered. If added to an incorporation service package or our DBA Filing Service, we begin the process after we receive approval of your incorporation filing from the state or DBA filing from the county/state. If ordered as a stand-alone service, we begin the process upon receipt of payment. Typical turnaround time after we begin the process is 5-7 business days.

Need help understanding your business license requirements?

The following Learning Center materials can help you understand how to manage your business license and permit requirements:

Understanding Business Licenses

Explore BizFilings’ services

The following products/services can help you satisfy the requirements that may be outlined in your Business License Application Package:

Order Business License Research


Includes one city in one county in one state.

Tools to Help You Choose

We have resources to help you understand your options.

Back To Top