Now that the FDA has approved two different COVID-19 vaccines for emergency use, Annie Lambert, PharmD, BCSCP, clinical program manager, Wolters Kluwer, Health advises that hospitals keep in mind the following five things when managing the vaccine doses.
- Expect systems to evolve: Surprise: extra doses! Empower pharmacy administrators to make changes to keep up with information changing daily
- Track everything digitally: Hardcopy or Excel temperature monitoring and storage management tracking is not enough. Cloud-based tools ensure access anywhere, increase visibility and automate vaccine management workflow
- Streamline & standardize compounding processes: Ensure standardized vaccine preparation and dilution, and control beyond-use dates to cut waste.
- Keep up competencies: Update and schedule custom competencies on vaccine storage, dispensing, and administration
- Data, Data, Data: Report results effectively on compliance, completion volume, staff training, and quality
For additional information on how to manage COVID-19 vaccines visit Simplifi 797's vaccine storage and handling support page.
If you are a member of the media looking to speak with Annie Lambert, please contact Ashley Beine.