Creating and Using User Defined Edits
User Defined Edits can be an effective way to review your data for inaccuracies, erroneous data or to check the data quality of non-required HMDA fields. User defined edits are like FFIEC edits, but you build them yourself and they are not on required fields.
Once you build the edits, they can be used on any file.
Create User Defined Edit Checks
To create a User Defined Edit, follow these steps:
- Go to the Edit module.
- From the Tools menu at the top of the program, select Define Edit Checks:
The software displays the Error Check Builder:
- Click the New button.
The software prompts for an error code:
- Type in a number (do not type in the “U,” as the software will do that for you.)
- Click the Build button.
The software displays the Expression Builder:
- Type in the expression and then click the Apply link at the top right corner.
- Copy the expression into the Error Description pane of the Error Check Builder.
Note: The Error Description displays in the Edit reports, so it is important to be descriptive.
- Continue this process until all edits have been built.
Note: You can always go back and edit, delete, or add new edits later. To change edit checks, go to the Tools menu, and select Define Edit Checks. Scan the User Defined Edits by clicking on Next and Previous buttons as needed. Click Build to make changes to a particular Edit. Remember to edit the description if it has changed.
Below are some examples of common edits you may want to create: