What we Know
- Firecracker students score higher on licensing exams than non-Firecracker students.
- Firecracker users aren’t better students.
- The relationship between Firecracker usage and licensing exam performance appears causal, not correlational. Results of our analysis show that Firecracker usage is associated with an equally significant increase in licensing exam score, regardless of incoming MCAT scores.
How we Know
- Collect verified and unverified USMLE and COMLEX score reports starting June 2014 from medical students.
- Average scores and standard deviation of non-Firecracker submitted reports are compared to official scores to determine accuracy.
- Reports are linked to Firecracker student accounts and analyzed using students’ full history of effort, progress, and performance.