Will Drafting 101
A practical guide to Will Drafting.
Will drafting is an essential part of any Wills & Estates practice and a service that is accessed by most people in our communities. Careful attention needs to be taken to ensure that it is done correctly for each client and that the Will is tailored to that clients circumstances. In recent times, there have been many negligence claims brought against solicitors in relation to Wills and Will drafting. Accordingly, it is crucial to follow a methodical approach when taking instructions and drafting Wills and to be aware of the pitfalls.
This webinar will provide a practical overview of Will Drafting including:
- The Will in the context of an Estate Plan
- The legislative framework
- A “fact-finding” mission – identifying what assets are owned by and/or controlled by the client, the family relationships any risks that need to be considered.
- Obtaining instructions from a client
- Drafting a valid Will
- Common construction Issues
- Identifying client capacity issues
- “Death Bed” Wills
- Informal Wills
- Negligence claims
Webinar Learning Outcomes:
Attendees of this seminar will learn about the importance of proper Will drafting, the steps that should be taken and the things to look out for when taking instructions for a Will.
- Lawyers who practice in wills and estates or are new to the area
- Financial planners
Adeline Schiralli, Consulting Principal, Keypoint Law – Acc. Spec. (Wills & Estates). Adeline is an accomplished estate planning and elder law solicitor with extensive experience developing comprehensive and practical estate plans that suit the individual circumstances of her clients. Prior to joining Keypoint Law as a Consulting Principal, Adeline was a Senior Associate in the Wills and Estates team of a large prominent suburban firm. Adeline holds a Masters of Law (Applied Law) in which she majored in Wills and Estates and is a member of the NSW Law Society’s Elder Law, Capacity & Succession Committee. Adeline was also listed in the Doyles Guide 2017 as a “Rising Star” in the category of Wills, Estates and Succession Planning and is a Law Society Accredited Specialist in Wills and Estates.
Your webinar purchase includes:
- PowerPoint presentation
- Supporting documentation
- Webinar Recording to view multiple times for up to 6 months
- An opportunity to ask questions to the presenter